Who is victoria principal dating now
High Street and the Square, now level, once sloped downwards to the banks of the stream. 35) Probably it was then already of the same construction as in 1764, when it had 3 stone arches, and 3 other openings formed of stone piers with timbers bearing the roadway. The road from Northampton was turnpiked under Acts of 17. 42) The road running north to Leicester and Loughborough became a turnpike in 1726. 43) The road running south to Kettering (Northants.) and London was turnpiked in 1752. 44) An attempt to insert a clause in the turnpike Act providing that there should be no toll gate on the London road within a mile of Harborough was unsuccessful. 45) The road from Harborough to Coventry, through Lutterworth, was turnpiked in 1755. 46) A cut from the Grand Union Canal at Foxton to Harborough was completed in 1809. 47) The first railway through the town was the line from Rugby to Harborough and eastwards to Rockingham and beyond, constructed in 1850. 55) who in 1679 arranged for the maintenance of a fire-engine that they had purchased for the town's use. 56) The feoffees kept an engine until at least 1707. 57) In 1744 one of Newsham's and Ragg's fire-engines was bought by subscription, with the aid of the Sun Fire Office, (fn.
An excavation across the stream's course near the north end of High Street revealed the original surface of the clay soil sloping down towards the centre with 'made ground' above. 27) Something of the ground's original conformation persists outside the Angel Hotel. More important was the line from Leicester through Harborough to Kettering and the south, built in 1857. 58) and this, with a smaller engine also bought by subscription, was kept in the church belfry. 59) The feoffees seem to have kept an engine in the 19th century. 60) A public fire brigade was organized in 1870, (fn.
In this central area, one or two timber-framed buildings can be recognized; others probably exist behind later frontages. 6 and 7 High Street an early-19th-century stucco front conceals a 17th-century timber-framed house with a steeply-pitched roof.
A back wing, remodelled early in the 18th century, is also largely timberframed and contains three smoke-blackened cruck trusses.
A shop to the north of the church is mentioned in 1637. 15) Butchers' stalls in the same area are mentioned in 1636. 16) These stalls may have been temporary structures, but others in the same area mentioned in 1644 were thatched, (fn. The shambles seem to have been sited here since the 14th century. 18) Some stalls here were converted into brick structures during the 18th century. 19) In 1737 two brick buildings were erected to house the shambles (fn.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. The relationship of Market Harborough to Great Bowden in civil and ecclesiastical matters has been discussed elsewhere. 2) Little Bowden, which was transferred from Northamptonshire in 1888 and included in the Market Harborough Urban District in 1895, has been excluded from this account. 3) The course of the Welland has undergone some changes. 4) In 1776 the old course still existed as a backwater, (fn. Since about 1900 various minor alterations have been made to the river. 6) The focal points of Harborough are the Square, formerly the Sheep Market, which lies at the south end of the township, and the broad High Street, which runs northwards from the Square to the northern boundary.
The following sections are concerned with the original township of Market Harborough on the north side of the River Welland. At Harborough it once ran to the north of its present bed, flowing immediately south of St. At some date, apparently early in the 18th century, the river cut a new course about 50 yds. In the 18th century the town was said to consist of three streets and four lanes. 7) The streets, presumably High Street, Church Street, and Adam and Eve Street, together with the Sheep Market and the space immediately surrounding the church (now known as Church Square), formed the built-up area at the centre of the town.
Abbey Street (1901) runs west from near the middle of High Street, cutting through the site of the former Coach and Horses Inn. 9) Roman Way (1936-7) leads from the north-east corner of Church Square in the direction of Great Bowden. 12) The spaciousness of the Square and High Street has been diminished by various encroachments.
To the north of the Square and occupying a prominent position on the east side of High Street, is the church of St. Immediately south of the church is the 17th-century grammar school, near which in the 18th century stood the guard house, the stocks, and the whipping post. 10) A market cross once stood near the north end of High Street, (fn. The block of buildings lying between the Square and the street later known as Factory Lane originated partly in encroachments made about 1550 by William Jenkinson, who built stables on land there which had earlier been used by ironmongers for displaying their wares on trestle tables. 13) Evidently, however, there had been earlier building nearby, for there were three cottages in the same part of the Square before Jenkinson began building. 14) Immediately to the north of the church a line of buildings grew up in the middle of High Street, which was consequently much reduced in width.